The New Zealand university application system: An overview

There is no UCAS system for international students applying to New Zealand universities. You are classed as an international student if you do not hold Australian or New Zealand citizenship. Therefore the process of applying to university in New Zealand is independent of UCAS and does not count towards your UCAS choices.

International applicants

International students can apply through the UK representative of the university, or if the university does not have a UK representative, directly to the International Student Admissions Office. You can see if your chosen institution has a UK representative by looking at the individual institution profiles on this website.

There are many advantages to applying through a UK representative. The representative will be able to provide you with free information and guidance on the courses that you are interested in, as well as the university itself. They can also provide you with advice on the accommodation options. Perhaps most importantly they can assist you to make an application to your chosen university. This means that they can provide you with the correct application form, certify all of the necessary documents for you and liaise with the admissions departments on your behalf. Applications which are submitted through a UK representative are fast tracked through the admissions procedures. The UK representative will also be able to assist you with applying for your student visa.

Universities will generally issue conditional offers for undergraduate courses on the basis that a student’s predicted results meet the entry requirements for the course. This would then change to unconditional if the requirements were met when the final results were published. Some universities will also issue conditional offers for postgraduate courses even if you have not yet completed your undergraduate degree.

Domestic applicants

If you hold Australian or New Zealand citizenship then you will be classed as a domestic student in both Australia and New Zealand, even if you have UK qualifications.

If you are a domestic student and you want to apply to go to university in New Zealand, you should contact the Domestic Admissions Offices directly for guidance about the application process.

Study Options - Study in Australia or New Zealand