Student support systems and quality assurances

New Zealand universities take the care of International students very seriously and there is lots of support available.

All of the universities have International Offices that are specifically dedicated to the well-being of international students. Regardless of whether an issue is academic, pastoral or medical, the International Office Student Advisors will be able to direct you to the most suitable department or person to help. The universities will also have Counselling or Psychological Services which provide free, confidential assistance to students who might be managing difficult issues such as low mood, grief, stress, exam anxiety or simply the transition to university. They can arrange individual support sessions and also provide group workshops as well as a range of other activities.

If you decide to stay in university-run accommodation, there will usually be a member of staff living on-site who will be dedicated to the pastoral care of the students in that accommodation. They will be able to provide you with support, or direct you to the necessary department, if you are having academic or personal difficulties.

The New Zealand government requires that all international students have comprehensive health insurance. This is a student visa requirement. The universities can arrange this health cover for you through their preferred providers and this is generally the most straightforward option. If you want to organise your own health insurance you should check with the university that the policy is sufficient to meet the student visa requirements. It is important to read all health insurance documents carefully so that you are aware of what will and will not be covered. 

The New Zealand Government requires all education providers that enrol international students to adhere to a national Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. The Code is administered by the New Zealand Ministry of Education, and is in place to ensure a high standard of pastoral care is provided to international students. It sets good practice procedures, minimum standards and a complaints procedure that all educational institutions must abide by. A copy of the Code can be accessed via the New Zealand Qualifications Authority website.

Study Options - Study in Australia or New Zealand